Here lies a list of blogs now deceased, moved on to fairer lands…
On life support (>6 months since last post)
- Big Blue Money – Formerly Big Blue Money, now renamed to Coffee Money, posting intermittently
- Rockstar Finance – Was back under new management, but with a very barren site. Doesn’t seem to have added any posts for some time.
- Frugal Student – Posting from August 2016 to March 2020, mainly about investing.
- Left FI – Blogged from May to August 2019, with a bit of a hiatus before a further flurry back in May 2020.
- The Canny Contractor – Started posting about their dividend growth portfolio in Q3 2016, with their most recent post in April 2020 covering Q4 2019.
- The English Investor – Last post in July 2020 titled “The English Investor is back”
- The Saving Journey – Starting in October 2017, with frequent monthly updates, their blogging peters out up to May 2020.
- Want Less – Started blogging way back in June 2015, but blogging has slowed in the last two years, with the last post in July 2020.
- Fire Fans – Posted seven times, five in Dec 2019, one in Jan 2020, and a final one in Feb 2020.
- Financial Anvil – Also started in Dec 2019, lasted one month longer, March 2020.
- Psyfitec – A potential competitor, blogging on psychology and finance. They started in Feb 2009, and have had a few short hiatuses along the way, so I suspect their March 2020 post won’t be the last.
- Baldrick’s Early Retirement UK – First post 5th March 2020, last post 23rd April 2020.
- Financing Freedom – First post 4th April 2020, last post 25th July 2020.
- Money by choice – First post 17th April 2020, last post 10th July 2020.
- Plan on Fire – Started posting 15th June 2020, last post 28th July 2020.
- Prudent Programmer – Pages comes up with safety warnings, but is accessible. First post September 2019, last post August 2020.
In the morgue (dormant for >1 year)
- Finance Your Fire – Marc participated in lots of the FIRE blogging scenes Thought Experiments etc, but last posted in August 2019
- Fire in London – First post in Nov 2016, last in December 2018
- Deliberate Living UK – First post 2017, last from Wephway was in January 2019
- Sex Health Money Death – Jim first posted in August 2015, and the last post was August 2018. At that point he was close to retiring, so he may well have blogged his last.
- Under The Money Tree – One of the original few, now dormant since December 2017
- UK Girl on Fire – First post April 14th 2019, last on July 31st 2019. A fair amount of indeedably inspired work on their site.
- The Finance Zombie – Last post in February 2019, infrequent prior but had been going since the 25th of September 2014.
- Bangkok 2 Blighty – Another big name, they started posting in April 2018, last post in October 2019.
- Your Freedom Pot – Started blogging in Feb 2018, with monthly updates to July 2018, then nada.
- Girl vs Money – Another short blog, with a few personal finance posts from July to September 2018.
Dead and buried
- Mr Squirrel – Another titan, sorely missed
- The Fire Engine – About a month of posting
- Some Things Don’t Change – Been gone some time sadly
- Financially Free by 40 – the latest addition, Huw’s last post was in mid-2018. The domain is now up for grabs.
- Grizgal on Fire – Last posted on the 8th of October 2019, their website is now dead.
- Liberate Life – Last posted on 11th September 2019, before deleting their website
- Chuffed 2 bits – Last posted in November 2019, the disappeared from this plane of existence. Now redirects to a completely unassociated blog.
- Next Chapter FI – My records show they last posted on the 2nd of January 2020, before puffing into void.
- MsZiYou – Feminist FIRE fan, who at one point was podcasting as well as blogging. Close to FIRE and changes in life circumstances led her to close her blog.
- Mess and Marigolds – Last posted on October the 15th 2019, their blog (mainly about cleaning with a bit of saving) started in September 2016. Domain now dead.
- Ready Steady Retire – Posted for about two months, from November 7th 2019 to December 21st 2019. Another dead domain.
- FIDdom – Bec started posting way back in November 2017, with her last post on the 17th of November 2019. 18 months to two years seems to be about average for survival time.
- Fretful Finance – Blogged from December 2nd 2018, with the most recent update on January 25th 2020. Also now deceased.
- Formerly Skint – Weekly money diaries started in January 2018 and dried up in January 2019. Now ‘parked’.
- Make Save Invest Money – Leon was posting from December 2017 to January 2019, and then appears to run out of steam. Now another dead link.
- Money Doesn’t Talk – Wasn’t blogging long, maybe six months?
- Liberate Life – Blogging for about a year, now dropped off my radar and with a dead site. Last post September 2019
Crossed the finishing line:
These bloggers finished their FIRE journey or completed goals, and signed off with distinction:
- Young FI Guy – One of my favourites, a titan, gone but not forgotten
- Fire the 9 to 5 – A fairly big poster, first post February 28th 2018. They had retired early, and posted a sign off blog entry in November 2020. Hope they’re enjoying their time.
- Pursue Fire – Dan started in July 2018, last post in January 2020 winding up the blog.
The Lazarus circuit
These are bloggers who have returned from the edge, touched the void, etc:
- Sparklebee – After a six month hiatus returned to posting with the news they quit their job and were truly on countdown to FIRE!
- Early Retirement Guy – Now redirects to MatchedBettingGuy, where he continues to blog.
- Little Miss Fire – LMF changed sites in 2019 and blogging was patchy after the swap. First post sometime in 2018 I think. As of October to December 2020 is back posting regularly.
- 3652 Days – Fairly infrequently updated, but going since December 2015, so often dips into the three-six month warning zone.
- Middle Class Hustlers – Holy smokes! Blogged for about a month in 2018/9, then back with three posts in two days in January 2021.
If you can think of any more please leave a comment below, and I’ll periodically return to update.
I am indebted to /u/reckless-saving over on /r/FIREUK, who makes this post so much easier by producing a similar weekly curated post.